Manhattan Edit Workhsop has just announced new dates for our DaVinci Resolve workshops, which will be taught by Warren Eagles, professional color grader and co-founder of the International Colorist Academy (ICA). Touted as the color grading system of choice for many of Hollywood’s blockbuster production studios, DaVinci Resolve 14 was announced at NAB this year to much excitement over its expanded set of editing features among many other upgrades.
A great introduction to Resolve 14 software, this class is ideal for first time users with little to no Resolve or colorist experience. This class mixes the operational side of Resolve with some practical real world training on workflows, basic color theory, grading approaches and techniques. Among many other topics, students will learn:
• A complete demo of the system, looking at every area of the new software and how it works with the control surface
• Basic color theory, looking at the waveform, vectorscope and histogram as well as how different colors interact with increased saturation/contrast; why some colors complement each other more than others
• Using the pan, tilt, zoom and rotate controls to explore how far you can zoom in on a film or digital image; Keyframing in the timeline and auto tracking
• Resolve workflows including Film, Red, Canon, Arri Alexa, Sony F3 and other digital files
• How to create looks and styles within Resolve to get a project started, including orange and teal, cross process, bleach bypass, Schindler’s red coat, duotones and day for night
Monday, July 29 – Wednesday, August 1, from 10am – 5pm
This two-day class is designed around a small conformed sequence that you can take away. We will work through the project from start to finish not only looking at Resolve, but also using general colorist strategies. You will be able to keep the project and stills, a great way to continue your learning.
What You Will Learn in ICA 201:
- Start with dailies. Grade a look for editing from the RAW camera files
- Making a LUT, exporting LUTs and Looks
- Render ProRes or DNxHD for offline editing, H264 for the web
- Export and XML/AAF from FCP/Premiere. How to roundtrip successfully
- Conform the ProRes in Resolve using the XML, it’s not correct what can we do?
- V12 editing page explained
- Bring in audio .wav then compare the conform with the offline reference movie
- Swap to the RAW camera files
- “Conform v Bake”, what are the pros and cons of each workflow?
- Where do we start the grade?
- Primary grading. 3 way color corrector, Curves and LOG grading
- Look creation. How to preview a look through the whole timeline using the split screen mode
- Plugin FXs, is this for the Colorist?
- Advanced secondary grading, keying, window tracking and animating
- VFX shots inserted into the timeline
- Physically add grain and scratches from supplied ICA media
- Fix audio and Optical flow issues
- Using the new RGB node
- External mattes, how do they help us?
- Finish Render out to 709/DCP
Thursday, August 3 – Friday, August 4, from 10am – 5pm